20081209

I was wrong

I should have known better than to put my trust in any organization other than the Church of Jesus Christ. I was saddened and hurt by this statement that I read today at apple.com:

No on Prop 8

Apple is publicly opposing Proposition 8 and making a donation of $100,000 to the No on 8 campaign. Apple was among the first California companies to offer equal rights and benefits to our employees' same-sex partners, and we strongly believe that a person's fundamental rights — including the right to marry — should not be affected by their sexual orientation. Apple views this as a civil rights issue, rather than just a political issue, and is therefore speaking out publicly against Proposition 8.

I have been a loyal Mac Addict for years, and it pains me to the core to see a company that is in so many ways superior to the competition blunder into the political arena and on the wrong side to boot. I am now torn with indecision. Burning questions torture my brain.

Who is the press release quoting?

How does Prop 8 affect someone's right to marry? (A gay guy could still get married, just not to another guy.)

Would I be supporting gay marriage by buying Apple products in the future?

Have I already financed gay marriage with my past Apple purchases?

Is Windoze still the "dark side?"

Should I join the dark side and use a PC? (Not likely.)

Is there any guarantee that the company from which I purchase computers (or any other good or service) in the future won't also break my heart and undercut my confidence?

Perhaps most important:

What else should I have expected from a company who's logo was originally a rainbow-colored apple?



Apple
Marry different.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I think it would drive you crazy if you tried to think about where every penny of your money ends up. Maybe your toilet paper purchase will eventually be used to fund terrorists. I think you should write them a letter to express your opinion, but I wouldn't stop using your Mac or buying Apple products in the future.

Cami said...

FINALLY you realize the truth . . .