20070613

South Beach Diet - Day 1

Tamara and I are no strangers to dieting, having done it previously, and even successfully--I lost 22 pounds over the course of a month while on the Body for Life diet. Since the disappearance of my copy of Body for Life, which I may cover in a separate post if I don't get it back, I have struggled a little bit with my diet, and the "free day" prescribed by the diet has become more of a free-for-all.

Accordingly, I read up on the South Beach diet, and decided that it was time to try something new. Tamara had commented on several occasions about how frustrated she was with those last few baby pounds that were relentlessly hanging on far more tenaciously than those from previous pregnancies. I decided that it was time for a change. After a little persuasion/pigheadedness (mine, of course), Tamara courageously agreed to join me on a new diet adventure.

So we have now weighed in and measured up. I won't bore you with all the details, but I weighed in at 217.4 pounds, about eight pounds more than my low on the Body for Life diet and a couple pounds shy of what I weighted when I graduated from high school. In fact, I have been within about 15 pounds of my current weight for about the last 15 years or so. Don't think that I believe absolutely in the Body Mass Index (BMI) that gets so much attention from your physician--I think that percentage body fat is a much better benchmark--but I have set my goal weight at 199 pounds, which would drop me from being overweight by BMI classification into the "normal" range.

Just so I can safely monitor Tamara's weight (I'm such a chicken), we'll say that she weighed in at a very dainty x pounds.

So it's on to phase one of the South Beach diet...

No comments: