20071128

Life-changing link #1: ReadtheScriptures.com

My modern mantra: Technology rocks!

That little voice in my head says it over and over. Technology rocks! Technology rocks! Technology rocks! I'm not trying to convince myself. I'm reveling in the coolness of all my beloved gadgets, gismos, wikis, blogs, and websites. In fact, you could take away most of the other geek bling items: iPhone, laser cutting tools, fog guns, and robots, and just leave me the websites. I firmly believe that proper manipulation of cleverly designed websites can change my life.

At the risk of sounding like LeVar Burton, I'm going to certify that you don't have to take my word on it--you can see for yourself.

As I came up with the idea to post something about the websites that have changed my life, I was initially stumped about which site I should feature first. I started thinking about a post on Seven Clown Circus by my friend, Angie. She quoted Cicero as saying, ""A room without books is like a body without a soul." That really got me thinking, and I realized that the most profound changes in my life have occurred subsequent to my reading a book. Thoreau put it this way:

"How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book?"

That narrowed the field substantially, and I was impressed to share with you a website that has helped me become more familiar with the books that have most changed my life -- ReadtheScriptures.com.

ReadtheScriptures.com offers a free scheduled reading service for people interested in staying on top of their study of the standard works of Scripture of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Those works include the Book of Mormon, the Old and New Testaments, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price.

Upon registration at ReadtheScriptures.com, users can select one of the standard works (or part of one) and set the number of days or date by which they would like to complete reading of the book. Each morning a measured portion of the book will be sent to the user's email address. At the end of each reading selection are two buttons, one to confirm completion of the selection, and a second to request immediate delivery of the next day's selection for those who are behind or want to get ahead. Clicking on a button will open a confirmation page that contains both an inspirational quote from one of the general authorities of the LDS church and a chart showing how far the user has progressed in the reading of the selected book.

I have found it much easier to read the Scriptures when I am confronted with an email in the morning that has the entire day's reading in it. I like being able to click on the "complete" button and see that I'm on track. If I can keep up the pace, I'll finish the Book of Mormon again by the end of the year.

I hope you find ReadtheScriptures.com as useful as I have, and hope you'll stay tuned for links to more life-changing websites.

[Post-post addition -- I welcome any submissions from readers about other life changing websites.]

2 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Um......life changing websites.......what about mine? j/k.

Seriously though, thank you so much for sharing this with us. I hadn't heard of it, and it sounds like just what I need. I love the idea of tailoring how much you can study and having it sent right to you with some accountability.....ie.....completed or not. Can't wait to get started. Do you think I can start with one verse? or is there a minimum? j/k. Signing up now.......

jeremiahrjones said...

Hey, one site at a time!

Has your site changed my life? I'd say it definitely...

Guess you'll have to wait and see.