20071009

TLIF

see the real blog at jeremiahrjones.com





That's right, it's the last day of the workweek. [Actually, I started writing this more than a week ago.] I'm sitting here on the bus on my way to Clark, and finding that I have time to jot down some of the thoughts that have popped into my head lately. In fact, let's start with the whole "idea popping" topic.

A few days ago my long strides brought me up behind one of my Biochem students, who was poring over a book as she walked the hill from the library. This is the substance of the ensuing exchange:

"Jana, what are you so absorbed in that you would risk falling down the hill because your nose is stuck in a book?"

"Oh, I just had an thought, and I wanted to explore it."

"Ah... I know how that is--to get an idea and then feel the need to immediately think it through and find out more."

Have you ever felt that urge? Have you felt inspiration's electrifying fingers sorting through the fragments of past contemplation in your mind? Have you ever sat bolt upright as you drifted off to sleep and proclaimed, "Lightning has struck my brain!"?

I hope you have. I am learning more and more that I need to pay attention to the random but salient thoughts that seem to coalesce from the uneven cadence of everyday minutiae that stream through my head. Accordingly, I vow today to keep pen, paper, and flashlight (inspiration comes at night, too) closer at hand to answer my need of transcribing those thoughts, small and big, which Providence puts in my way.

No comments: