20100915

Video chat sewing lessons

When I was a little girl my grandmother taught me to sew. I remember very clearly doing sewing projects with my cousin and my grandmother very patiently coaching us along. Those are fond memories but any other sewing projects are not looked upon with fond memories. I've come to realize that I don't like sewing and I don't have the patience for sewing. Lately I've felt some regret at my lack of patience and skill when I've seen the cute things my cousin Jennifer and my sister Julia have made. Then I quickly talk myself out of trying because I couldn't possibly fit anything into my very full schedule. So why torture myself right?

Well, a few months ago my sister made Abigail a really cute skirt and then went on to tell me how easy it was to make and that I could do it no problem. She even went out and bought me some material and mailed it to me so I couldn't come up with any excuses. The material has sat on my desk the last month while I've finished up some projects but monday night I tackled the skirt. Since my sister and I live VERY far away from each other we relied on video chat for the project. She made one along with me and coached me through each step giving me the confidence I needed to attempt sewing after so many years of staying as far away from the sewing machine as possible. In a few hours I had made a skirt for Natalie and I didn't have to rip out any stitches or my hair for that matter. I'm sure it would have been more fun if I could have physically been at my sisters house but I do have to admit that I had fun learning from my sister and stepping out of my comfort zone.

Before I went to bed I laid the skirt at the end of Natalie's bed feeling like a kid at Christmas with the excitement of my accomplishment. I do have to say that I was very proud of myself for giving sewing another try. I still don't really like sewing but I do have plans to make a few more skirts for my other girls and who knows what else that will lead to.


Natalie was very excited with her new skirt and wore it to school the next day.

2 comments:

Julia said...

I had lots of fun too ! To bad the girls can't wear their matching skirts together, but it's sure does look great on Natalie!

Aimilee said...

Very cute skirt! Video chat instructions are a fabulous idea!! Hmmm... may have to convince my sister!!