20070313

Daddy Survivor Week draws to an end





I don't know what's tired me out the most this past week--taking care of the children all by myself (without Tamara, that is--sorry Amber, Nevila, Amy, and Jill) or posting a blog every day for the past week. I do have some sense of accomplishment, however, having chronicled to some degree a rather eventful seven days in the Jones household.

It is now, thankfully, coming to a close. To celebrate the last day of waking up with no Mommy, I cranked up the stereo and woke up the children with some Johnny Williams, including the theme song for Superman. Quicker than a speeding bullet, I had three super children zooming around the downstairs with capes and extended arms.



I couldn't escape another round of dishwashing. I put on my gloves and went to work while the schoolchildren prepared for school. After they were gone, I continued. I was glad to have Oscar the Grouch to keep Trevor company as I stood in the kitchen with suds up to my elbows.



I dropped off Trevor for the last time today, and he got to spend his day with Max and Caleb. He babbled to himself with the usual anticipation as we drove over to the Andros home, and, when we went in, promptly removed his jacket and shoes and went to see what kind of toys he could find. Before I could get out the door, Trevor was marching around playing a discordant tune on a little blue harmonica. When I said I was leaving, he waved and went on exploring the house.



I think the anticipation of Tamara's return lent me a little extra energy today, and, even though I was still congested and a little sore from last week's sledding mishap, I got out and played some volleyball. Two words: Go, Jane!



At the end of the day, with the children packed in the car, which managed to stay in (mostly) one piece, we zipped on down to T.F. Greene to collect Mommy and Abigail. Though everyone is relieved to have Mommy back with us, Abigail stole the show all the way home with her hearty chuckles and giggles as the children vied for her attention with waving stuffed animals and tickles and coos. Trevor did an exceptionally good job at getting her to laugh by bouncing his "bunny" on her tummy. (The "bunny" is really a creepy little stuffed rat with eyes that pulsate with an eerie red luminescence--and it makes some weird little noises.)



Margaret Culkin Banning wrote, "She never quite leaves her children at home, even when she doesn't take them along." So maybe it hasn't been that different for Tamara while she has been away in Utah at her grandpa's birthday celebration, but the rest of us sure missed her.

It's not easy being a mother. If it were easy, fathers would do it.

Posted by Jeremiah on March 13, 2007 at 10:29 PM

No comments: