20071126

So, how was your Thanksgiving?


Since you've already had your Thanksgiving dinner, here's some different food--food for thought...

Since my freshman year in high school (1990) the percentage of obese adults, as measured by their BMI, has grown from less than 15% in any of the states to at least 20% in all the states save four--15% to 20% of adults in Colorado, Connecticut, Hawaii, and Massachusetts are obese. In Mississippi and West Virginia roughly one out of three adults is obese, and one in four adults in 18 other states is obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Another estimate indicates that about two thirds of Americans are overweight and half of those are obese.

Why does it matter? Two of the leading causes of obesity are poor diet and low amounts of exercise. These two factors may also be attributed to approximately 400, 000 deaths in the United States every year.

So, Merry Christmas--this year my gift is this:

I love you too much to see you be one of those 400,000. Enjoy your holiday food, and then get up and get active! If you need me to get after you about it, let me know--I'd be more than happy to pester you about exercising and eating right.

2 comments:

Kathryn Cooper said...

It's true; something needs to be done. We need to realize it's fun to be active!

Jen said...

I started Weight Watchers the week before Thanksgiving. I planned what I was going to eat, and ate only that on the actual day. I was successful and actually left the table comfortable (not stuffed). I've lost 3 pounds to date! Wahoo!!! Next weigh-in is on Saturday! Now I just need to be more active. Shouldn't be too hard with a 4 year old ;o)